Refuge – Youth Program
What is Refuge like?
- A group of LGBTQ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning) high schoolers and their straight friends who are looking to be part of a positive environment and form friendships.
- Refuge welcomes those of all faith backgrounds or no faith background. We will honor and respect each person’s faith and spirituality.
- A place to meet new friends, share experiences and support each other
- We work to provide a positive, affirming alternative to the negative messages that LGBTQ youth may hear in their churches, schools or homes.
- For those still questioning their sexual orientation, Refuge is a safe place to talk with others as your attempt to understand your identity.
What are Refuge gatherings like?
- We alternate between topical discussions and guest speakers on relevant topics for LGBTQ youth.
- We attend varies community events and activities together.
- We celebrate high points and support each other during difficult times in our lives. Being LGBTQ brings its own unique challenges. Refuge is a place to find encouragement and insight.
When and where does Refuge meet?
- Refuge is taking a break during the summer of 2013. Check the events calender to see when the group is meeting again.
- Refuge meets in “The Vine”, the youth center of First Place at at 207 East Fulton in Grand Rapids (where Jefferson dead ends at Fulton). Enter the northwest corner door by the neon sign saying “The Vine”.
- During Refuge meetings, parking gates are open to allow entry. Proceed to the lower parking lot on the left.
- During the winter months, Refuge meetings will follow the GRPS afternoon/evening event cancellations. Announcements will be posted by 5pm on Facebook as well.
How do I find out more about Refuge?
- Become a Facebook Fan (search Refuge).
- Email Refuge@GaysInFaithTogether.org
- Check the Events Calendar for the current schedule.
Faith & Sexuality Series: Engaging our Sacred Texts
Join us for a Faith & Sexuality Series during our GRITS adult meetings on Wednesday evenings during the month of February. This series will be lead by Gregory Eran Gronbacher, a gay Jewish man with a passion for theological study and discourse.
We will be encouraged to engage the Scriptures in new ways and glean from the perspectives of one another. This series is sponsored by the Gay Christian? Yes! campaign and GIFT. It is free and open to the public!
Dates: 2/5, 2/12, 2/19, and 2/26
Location: 207 E. Fulton, Grand Rapids, MI 49503
(Turn North onto Barclay, turn into the top parking lot and head down to the bottom parking lot. The door is closest to the sidewalk on Fulton.)
Identify. Tell me why. GCY!
Need to create your video? All it takes is a webcam and five minutes of your time.
Using YouTube (or another preferred video hosting site), you record a web or phone cam video of yourself. Just tell us who you are. LGBT+? Ally?
Tell me why.
Explain why the “Gay Christian? Yes!” message resonates with you. What is your story? How do you find yourself reconciling your spiritual walk, your involvement in a church community, and the various other aspects of your humanity? Allies too! What message of hope can you offer your Christian LGBT friends and neighbors?
Affirm that you are among those who unconditionally recognize the sacred worth of each person and fully welcome all into the life and community of the church by saying “Gay Christian? Yes!” and/or by making a whimsical sign with the GCY name and website to hold up at the end of your video
Submit a link to your video at Facebook.com/GayChristianYes
or via email:
More helpful hints can be found by clicking on "Videos" above, and then on "How to Upload and Share your video"
Make your video today, and join the many voices proclaiming:
"Gay Christian? YES!"
Donate to the Campaign
The “Gay Christian? Yes!” Campaign needs your financial support. Gays In Faith Together (GIFT) runs the Campaign. GIFT is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. US donations are eligible for tax deduction. Send your check to
207 East Fulton
Grand Rapid, MI 49503
Or donate by credit card by clicking on this button:
Note that your donation is for the GCY Campaign.
- July 30, 2014 7:00 pmGRITS
- August 6, 2014 7:00 pmGRITS
- August 13, 2014 7:00 pmGRITS
- August 20, 2014 7:00 pmGRITS